One of life’s certainties is that we will all experience challenging times, so we can all benefit from having strategies to manage ourselves through those times. It is a good idea to practice these strategies in less stressful times too, this will ensure they are easy strategies to reach for when you are under pressure.
It is important to keep some level of self-care or it bring it back in as soon as possible. Sometimes in our overwhelm we essentially throw the baby out with the bathwater. Because we may not be able to cook or get to the gym during a crisis we believe there is nothing we can do and often stop all good habits and begin to sabotage our health.
- go for a walk 5 minutes is better than nothing
- listen to a song you like to sing or dance to
- call or message a friend
- ask for help
- eat some protein, it’s very grounding
- drink some water, we often forget to hydrate
- listen to a 5 or 10 minute meditation
- have a power nap
- watch a funny video/reel online
Self-care can be as simple as asking yourself, “what is one thing I can do to practice self-care today?” and doing that. I discuss this more in the video a the bottom of this post.